Palaiopoli – Mon Repo
The great park is located in the area that had been founded the ancient city. It owes its uniqueness to the archaeological findings and the summer residence Mon Repos which houses part of the Archaeological Museum.
The Mon Repos is a neoclassical villa built in 1825 to designs by Sir George Whitmore and served as the summer residence of the British Commissioners and the Greek royal family. The rare garden includes about 2000 species, derived from the British Mediterranean colonies.
Apart from the Museum of Mon Repos, major attractions are the Doric temple of Kardaki the cave beneath the temple, the Heraion (Doric temple 7th c. BC dedicated to Extreme Hera), the post-Byzantine church of the Savior, duplex Gothic edifice form (residence Kolchouam), the ruined building British rule, two-story colonial style building (depot – barracks) and the monastery of St. Euphemia is io oldest nunnery on the island and refers to a document of 1478.